Fatima Yakupbaeva

Bishkek, December 8, 2021 - The UNDP and lawyer Fatima Yakupbaeva have jointly launched an updated version of Mildet, a Telegram bot with increased functionality on family law issues: dissolution of marriage, division of property and determination of paternity.

"Mildet is Kyrgyzstan's first virtual lawyer-bot, created in 2020, which can advise citizens online and even draft the necessary documents. It provides basic advice on alimony recovery, registration of a sole trader, tax regimes, labour disputes and consumer protection issues. In addition, it draws up an application for the recovery of alimony, promissory note, and a decision to set up a limited liability company based on the results of a dialogue with the user.

The expansion of the family law function in partnership with UNDP is aimed at protecting the rights of women and children.

Previously, the bot provided advice on nine legal issues. Now the bot can help to draw up an application for the establishment of paternity, a complaint against the inaction of a bailiff, which is very relevant for women who face difficulties in collecting alimony. The bot will help you to write a divorce petition and advise on the division of property or inheritance. Another innovation novelty will be the launch of the bot in Uzbek in addition to the Kyrgyz and Russian versions, which will expand the audience in the southern regions of the country.

"The purpose of the bot is to make legal aid available to all. Practice shows that many women, having received a court decision on the recovery of alimony, cannot enforce it. The expansion of the bot is aimed at solving such problems. After all, now users will be able to receive high-quality advice and, if necessary, an application for filing a court action after spending only a few minutes.” noted Fatima Yakupbaeva, the author of Mildet.

It's worth noting that women suffer most from systemic problems with unpaid alimony, as they are the ones who, in 92% of cases, alone raise and support their children. According to a UNDP study, at the end of 2020, there were 47,351 executory child support payments for minor children. 92% of child support debtors are men and remaining 8% are women.

On the joint EU-UN Spotlight Initiative

In January 2020, in partnership with the Cabinet of Ministers of the Kyrgyz Republic, the EU and the UN launched a multi-year country programme under the global Spotlight Initiative to end all forms of violence against women and girls. The aim of the programme is to create an environment in which all women and girls in Kyrgyzstan, especially the most vulnerable, live free from violence and harmful practices, including child marriage and ala kachuu. The programme includes a set of integrated policy and legislative measures, institutional strengthening, violence prevention, services for survivors of violence, quality data collection and support for the women's movement and civil society. The programme is implemented by five UN agencies (UN Women, UNFPA, UNDP, UNICEF and UNODC) under the overall leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator in the Kyrgyz Republic.

 

Contacts for media

Chyntemir Kalbaev

UNDP Communications Assistant

chyntemir.kalbaev@undp.org

+996775767605

 

UNDP Around the world

You are at UNDP Kyrgyzstan 
Go to UNDP Global