Photos: Ainura Murzakanova / UNDP Kyrgyzstan

Bishkek, 14 October 2021 - This Thursday, October 14, in Bishkek, within the framework of the joint EU-UN “Spotlight Initiative” , UNDP, together with the Higher School of Justice under the Supreme Court of the Kyrgyz Republic and the Kyrgyz Association of Women Judges, conducted training for judges on the specifics of handling cases on gender-based crimes committed against women and girls.

According to a UNDP study, of the total number of gender-based crimes, including rape and kidnapping for the purpose of forced marriage, only 11% of cases go to trial, while the remaining 89% are terminated at an early stage. In all discontinued domestic violence cases, the basis is the reconciliation of the parties, when the women victims write a counter statement.

At the training, the participants were presented the results of the UNDP study on the review of judicial practice in the consideration of criminal cases on gender-based crimes, and also held sessions on general concepts of gender-based violence and standards of treatment of survivors.

“The topic of gender crimes is very relevant now. In this regard, we are conducting this training and have invited judges from various regions of the country. " - emphasized Elmira Baytikova, director of the Higher School of Justice under the Supreme Court of the Kyrgyz Republic.

Zulfiya Turumbekova, Executive Director of the Kyrgyz Association of Women Judges of the Kyrgyz Republic noted: “The Kyrgyz Association of Women Judges in 2017 conducted a study of judicial practice on gender crimes. Within the framework of this study, 1,029 criminal cases were studied for the period from 2014 to 2017. Based on the research, with the support of UNDP, a training manual was prepared for judges of the Kyrgyz Republic with the aim of educating judges on gender issues and achieving a unified practice in considering this category of cases. "

The “Spotlight Initiative” together with the Kyrgyz Association of Women Judges will continue to work comprehensively to increase the capacity of judges, prosecutors, internal affairs bodies and lawyers in terms of the specifics of handling cases related to violence against women and girls.

About “Spotlight Initiative”

In January 2020, in partnership with the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, the EU and the UN launched a multi-year country program under the global Spotlight Initiative to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls. The goal of the program is to create an environment in which all women and girls in Kyrgyzstan, especially the most vulnerable, live without violence and harmful practices, including child marriage and ala kachuu. The program includes a set of integrated policies and legislation, strengthening institutions, preventing violence, providing services to survivors of violence, collecting quality data and supporting the women's movement and civil society. The program is implemented by five UN agencies (UN Women, UNFPA, UNDP, UNICEF and UNODC) under the overall leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator in the Kyrgyz Republic.

Media contacts

Chyntemir Kalbaev Communications Assistant at UNDP chyntemir.kalbaev@undp.org +996775767605 

Slide
Slide
Slide
Slide
Icon of SDG 16

UNDP Around the world

You are at UNDP Kyrgyzstan 
Go to UNDP Global