A commission to select members of public councils was establishedSep 4, 2014
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan - On September 3, 2014, ten representatives of civil society organizations became members of the Selection Commission for Public Councils (PC) through a competitive process.
According to the head of the Human Resources Management Department of the Government Office Shadybekov Kuvanychbek, the Selection Commission consists of 15 members. Five candidates are from the following government offices: President’s Office, Parliament’s Office, Government Office, Ombudsman and the Kyrgyz Republic State Personnel Service. According to the Law "On Public Councils" government offices have the right to change their representatives of the commission at any time. Other 10 people are representatives from civil society.
The competition to select members of the commission was announced on July 16, 2014. For the submission of documents was given one month until July 15, 2014. Different civil society organizations and associations nominated 44 candidates and 35 of them met the requirements.
Candidate from "Anti-Corruption Forum" Lira Usubalieva withdrew from the competition on the selection day. Candidate from a non-government organization "Youth justice and labor organizations" Meerim Shamyrkanova did not meet the age requirements. As a result, 33 candidates attended the selection day.
According to the procedure, each candidate admitted to the selection day, openly or anonymously writes on a sheet of paper the names of not more than 20 other candidates. By preferential voting the first 10 candidates receiving the most votes are elected as members of the commission and another 10 as back-up.
Learn more about the Selection Commissions via our series of infographics
List of the top ten candidates:
- Tatiana Temirova, candidate of OJP “Association of Civil Society Support Centers "- 27 votes;
- Atyr Abdrahmatova candidate of "Alliance of Liberal Youth" Free Generation "- 24 votes.
- Iskender Bainazarov, candidate of NGO "Rural Initiative" - 23 votes
- Zhamatay uluu Akhun candidate OJP single mothers with disabilities "Arimad" - 23 votes
- Zarina Makenalieva candidate of OJP “Union of Banks of Kyrgyzstan"- 23 votes
- Nurbek Toktakunov candidate of NGO "Partnership Group"Precedent"- 22 votes
- Zulfija Kochorbaeva candidate of NGO "House of Peace" - 22 votes
- Avazkan Ormonova candidate of PF "DIA" - 21 votes
- Ruslan Akmatbek Candidate of OJP “Association of Young Entrepreneurs "- 20 votes
- Mirzat Adzhiev candidate of Association "Er-Ep" - 20 votes
Members of the Selection Commission are elected for 5 years.
"If the members of the Public Councils are strong and decent, they can contribute to improving the government. I can influence the process of bringing good candidates to this council"- said Iskender Bainazarov, the candidate of the NGO "Rural Initiative" during the presentation of his candidacy.
"I believe that every citizen has all the capabilities to oppose the government at any level. In this respect I am very interested in the work of the public councils. These organizations are the notion of civil society in action" said Nurbek Toktakunov, head of the non-government organization “Precedent".
The commission will select members of public councils in 40 government agencies. Each of the councils should have from 7 to 15 members.
UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in 177 countries and territories, we offer global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.Contact information