Small Hydro Power Development
About the project
The main goal of the project is to accelerate sustainable small hydropower (SHP) electricity generation in Kyrgyzstan. As part of the project UNDP will help introduce a competitive private power framework to supply the grid with SHP-generated electricity at market-determined prices, assist the Government in closing private sector funded SHP investments.
- Draft of methodology for the economic/financial evaluation of small hydropower plants.
- A complete set of regulations on financial and other incentives for developers of small hydro power plants.
- Draft guidelines and technical standards for maintenance and operation small hydropower.
- Feasibility studies for 2 small pilot hydropower sites.
- A number of constructed pilot micro hydro power plants.
- A number of medical units in remote areas have installed pilot micro hydro power stations and solar power panels.
What we have accomplished so far
- Changes to Codes on Water and Land Use are drafted; changes to the Law on Renewable Energy is approved of Parliament Kyrgyz Republic.
- A study tour to learn Montenegro’s experience on small hydro power plants and energy efficiency for 8 persons from partner organizations.
- Methodologies for the financial evaluation and calculating small hydropower tariffs is developed.
- Hydrological studies on the approved rivers in Osh and Batken provinces.
- Hydrologic and geodesic searches for construction 2 micro hydro power stations for local communities in Issyk-Kul and Naryn province.
- Draft regulations, training modules and manuals in the field of small hydro powers are developed.
- Purchased computer and office equipment are ready for transferring to the Directorate of Project on Development of small and medium hydro powers and renewable energy department of the Ministry of Energy.
- A website about latest developments in renewable energy in Kyrgyzstan (www.greenenergy.kg) launched.
Who finances it?
|MDG Carbon Facility