Environment Protection for Sustainable Development
About the project
As part of this programme UNDP helps government and non-government institutions of Kyrgyzstan to integrate environmental sustainability and climate change resilience into pro-poor development policies. Promotion of low carbon development, sustainable natural resource management and transition to climate resilient economy via climate change adaptation strategies are three main priorities of the project.
- Demonstration of approaches of low carbon (emission) development in Kyrgyzstan.
- National strategy, mechanisms and experts on climate change adaptation.
- A number of policies that manage natural resources in a sustainable manner; local development plans with consideration of sustainability issues.
What we have accomplished so far
- Kyrgyzstan successfully participated in the Rio+20 Conference with UNDP’s support.
- Green low carbon development in on the national agenda, a National Council of Sustainable Development has been established by the Presidential Decree.
- “The Autumn School of Eco-journalism” covered climate change and low carbon green development topics. 75 print/electronic media articles and videos submitted for a contest among media on climate change issues announced by UNDP.
- Inception workshop for the Third National Communication for the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Inter-agency Coordination Committee of Climate Issues has been established under the Leadership of Vice-Premier.
- Five round tables has been organized to present the expert assessment of the sectoral vulnerability adaptation measures in various ministries.
- Draft National Strategy on Climate Change Adaptation was presented on the National Conference on Climate Change Adaptation involving.
- A comprehensive list of international protection of environment.
- Presentation of the National State of Environment Report.
- Natural Recourses Management Plan for the Kok Moinok Rural District.